Here are some basic tips you can implement so your #senior friend or relative can move about safely and with ease.
Look at the floor in each room
1. Use a non-skid backing on all throw rugs to prevent slipping.
2. If there are cords, papers, books, or other objects on the floor, pick them up, and coil or tape down cords so no one trips over them.
STAIRS & STEPS:
Look at inside & outside stairs
3. Fix loose or broken steps and make sure carpet is firmly attached to each tread.
4. Make sure there is an overhead light and a switch at the top and bottom of each stairway.
5. Fix loose handrails or install new ones on both sides of the stairway.
Look at all your bathrooms
6. Add a non-slip mat or self-stick strips on the floor of the tub or shower.
7. Install safety grab bars inside the tub, at the sink and next to the toilet for support.
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT FALLS:
8. Use a step stool with a top grab-bar, never a chair, to reach items in upper cabinets.
9. Exercise regularly, even if it’s only a daily 20-minute walk or stretching in your chair or bed (after doctor’s approval), to maintain your strength and improve your balance.